POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : using a .jpeg as a texture : Re: using a .jpeg as a texture Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:24:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using a .jpeg as a texture
From: mine
Date: 28 Apr 2006 03:35:01
Message: <web.4451c4262b743d3e16cc43700@news.povray.org>
"PM 2Ring" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "mine" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > I want to use a .jpeg format picture as a texture, how do I do it?
>
> If you just want to 'paint' the jpeg image onto a surface, use image_map.
> But if (as I suspect) you want to sort-of 'carve' the jpeg into your object
> to create a textured surface, then you want to use bump_map. In the 3.6
> docs, see '3.5.1.5  Image Maps' and '3.5.2.3  Bump Maps'. Or look at the
> online docs.
>
> I know the docs are big, but you really do have to read them to know what
> POV can do for you. :)
>
> For an example of a bump_map picture I did see

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/attachment/%3Cweb.42556d981db933923d6ca37a0%40news.povray.org%3E/earthk
1.
> png
>
> Check out the rest of the "Blue Marble" thread for code & other examples
> that use image maps.

Thanks for the help.I tried using an 'image map'.I put in:

plane { <0, 1, 0>, 0
  pigment { image_map {jpeg "pavement1-512x512.jpeg"}
  }
 }

but I get "Parse Error: cannot open JPEG file.". The jpeg is in the same
directory as the .pov file. can you help?